Truck Accident Lawyers in Escondido, California
When truck drivers make a mistake behind the wheel, the people most likely to suffer injuries are passenger vehicle occupants. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a loaded tractor trailer can take as much as 40% further to stop. While truck drivers are required to abide by strict hours of service laws, drivers may still work long shifts, which can lead to fatigue. Research has shown that fatigue can lead to increased driver error. In fact, sleepiness might be more dangerous than drunk driving, in certain cases.
If you or a loved one was hurt in a truck accident, you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates are truck accident lawyers in Escondido, California who assist victims and families with the claims process. For example, you and your loved one may be entitled to make a claim against the truck driver’s insurance policy. Some of these policies have limits up to $1 million. Many stakeholders might be involved in a truck accident, from truck shipping companies to maintenance personnel responsible for making sure that trucks are in working order. A truck accident claim can have many distinct parts and can sometimes be complex. Truck companies and drivers are required to abide by a wide range of federal and local laws. Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates is a truck accident law firm in Escondido, California who can help you navigate the claims process.
Truck Accident Causes in Escondido, California
Truck accidents can happen for a range of reasons. Most accidents occur due to driver error. Truck drivers are subject to additional laws and restrictions due to the sheer size of the vehicles they drive. Here are some of the factors that can lead to truck accidents in Escondido, California:
- Drowsy Driving. Fatigue is one of the leading causes of truck accidents. While truck drivers are required to follow the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Federal Hours of Service Laws, some drivers may sometimes stretch their driving beyond the time limit and others may even falsify logs. While federal hours of service limit a driver’s shift to 11 hours, and require drivers to take time off in between to sleep and rest, the strain of pulling many 11-hour shifts in a row can add up after a while. Researchers have found that the effects of drowsy driving can be just as serious as drunk driving. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck accident, Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates are semi-truck accident lawyers who have a range of means to determine whether your driver may have broken federal hours of service laws. Our firm can check driver logs and shipping laws. If the driver or company broke the law, you and your family may be entitled to receive compensation for your losses and damages.
- Distracted Driving. According to Time magazine, the average American checks his or her cell phone 46 times each day. If you happen to be driving when doing this, you are engaging in distracted driving. Distracted driving is increasingly being cited as the culprit in many car and truck accidents. Truckers may be more at risk of distracted driving because they spend more time behind the wheel, may be tempted to catch up with family and friends while driving, and may be tempted to check their phones for maps, or to put on music. Truck companies should have no-tolerance policies for cell phone use behind the wheel. If you believe that distracted driving may have played a role in your truck accident, reach out to Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates, a truck accident law firm in Escondido, California.
- Drugs and Alcohol. Truck drivers are subject to the same risk factors as the general population for drugs and alcohol use. In fact, their risk factors may be higher because of the nature of the work that they do. If drugs and alcohol were involved in your truck accident, you and your family may have rights under the law. Visit Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates, truck accident lawyers in Escondido, California today to learn more.
- Failed Maintenance. Truck companies have a responsibility to keep their vehicles in working order. When these companies cut corners to save money, the people who can get hurt are passenger vehicle occupants. When truck brakes fail, or when tires blow, drivers can lose control of their vehicles, leading to serious accidents. The semi-truck accident attorneys at Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates in Escondido, California can review a truck’s schedule of maintenance to ensure that truck companies kept the vehicle in proper working order. A review of a police report can also reveal data about what might have contributed to the crash.
- Driver Factors. Commercial truck drivers are required to have proper licensure to operate a truck. Drivers may be required to pass medical tests and meet strict requirements. If a truck company failed to properly vet a driver, it could be responsible for your accident. Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates know the law and can review your driver’s background and driving record for red flags.
You and your family may be entitled to receive money to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages if you have been hurt in a truck accident in Escondido, California. The qualified truck accident attorneys at Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates can review all aspects of your case, identify responsible parties, and fight to help you get the recovery you may deserve. You may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. Act now.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Escondido, California?
Truck accident claims are a little different than passenger vehicle claims. Truck insurance policies have higher limits. In a typical passenger vehicle accident, often the responsible party is the other driver. However, in a truck accident claim, there may be many responsible parties involved, from the truck driver to the truck company to the shipper. Furthermore, truck drivers and companies are required to follow strict laws when it comes to operating their businesses. Any of these factors can impact the other driver’s negligence and can possibly increase the value of your claim. The aftermath of a truck accident can be stressful for victims and families, but you don’t have to navigate the claims process alone. Visit our truck accident law firm at Jeffrey E. Estes & Associates in Escondido, California today.